How to Create a Spreadsheet in Google Docs?
Top 10 benefits of WordPress Useful for building website What is WordPress? What is WordPress WordPress is the most famous open source content management system
In those days, a paper was the only alternative for cataloguing a large amount of data. With the introduction of computers, you now have other ways to document your information.
Let’s go back to history a little.
The VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet and it was introduced in 1979. This eliminated any form of a physical compilation of data, calculation of values, and paper spreadsheets. However, the only challenge was that the worksheet was attached to a particular machine.
Time travel to 30 years later!
Google introduced the first spreadsheet online in 2006. It was known as Google Doc Suit. Since its introduction, it has gone through several updates and modifications. You can now download and install it as an app on your mobile device.
With that brief history lesson, it’s time to hit the ground running.
To kick things off, here are some terminologies that you should acquaint yourself with.
- Cell – A single element
- Column – Vertical set of cells
- Row – Horizontal set of cells
- Range – A collection of cells that extends to a row or column
- Function – A spreadsheet app that is used to calculate a cell, row or range.
- Formula – It is the combination of cells, rows, or functions to attain a specific result.
- Worksheet – The set of rows and columns that make up a sheet.
- Spreadsheet – The whole document.
- File – Click on the “File” to either open, import, save, rename, or publish your data, etc.
- View – This tab has to do with displaying function.
- Insert – This provides the avenue to insert images, links, etc.
- Format – You can make your letter italics or bold. Click to see other functions.
How to open a spreadsheet?
You know what? Using Google is completely free. It works on any device. You can use it on your tablet, Android, iOS, or Windows devices. So it will be easy to apply the instructions you get as you keep reading.
All you need to kick off is a web browser (that is if you are using it on your computer). However, you can download the app for free via your Google account. If you are using your PC, visit sheet.google.com, andyou are good to go.
If you want to create a new worksheet in Google, there are three methods that can be used.
- Tap the “New” tab on the Google Drive dashboard. Choose “Google Sheets”
- Tap the menu within the spreadsheet and click on “File > New Spreadsheet”
- Press “Blank” or choose a template on the Google sheet page.
If you follow these steps, this will open a new blank page. It is always best to start with a blank page asa beginner than on a pre-populated template. The Google worksheetis similar to Microsoft’s interface. The icons and other features are similar.
How to add data to a spreadsheet?
After you have created a blank sheet, the next step is to add data. Just select the cell of your choice and start inputting your data. Assuming you don’t want to type all the information manually, you can choose to add data to your blank sheet through these methods;
- Tap the “Enter” button to save data. It will also move the cursor beginning of the next row.
- Tap the “Tab” button to save and move the cursor to the right side of the same row.
- Press the “Arrow” keys (left, right, up, and down) to move from one cell to another.
- Tap any cell to jump to it.
To copy and paste is very easy, but in some situations, it may seem challenging.It’s usually the case if you want to copy a “spreadsheet y” type of data from a website or PDF. Most times, all the information just paste in a cell. The only way to solve this problem is to ensure that is in an HTML table. This will help you avoid pasting a funky data.
Google spreadsheets have made life easier for content marketers. Preparing data no longer take so much effort and time like in the past. Several people can work within the same document simultaneously. You can save, rename, resend different versions back and forth. This innovation is also replicated in the Google apps script.
Copyright© All rights reserved 2016-2020 VB Easy